Wolwedans Collection of camps and lodges is expanding its existing offering to include a permanent horse trainer and guide after a successful trial run period offering horseback riding as an activity to our guests. This is a hands-on position ideal for a qualified and experienced trainer/guide.This position includes work with both trained and untrained horses, as well as guiding and horseback riding activity-marketing functions.
Key Responsibilities include (but not limited to)
The successful candidate will have to assist in marketing horse safaris and related activities whilst getting the horses used to human contact with voice commands and physical contact.Trainers will be requested to analyze horses’ behaviors and assess the horses’ dispositions regularly. Horse trainers and horseback guiding experts will be tasked to correct any behavioral problems such as head tossing, kicking, biting and dominance assertions prevalent in the animals. Other traits trainers must address will include bolting, nervousness and restlessness.Trainers must lead well, in order for horses to walk, trot and canter on a loose rein out in the field, even when in a group. The horse needs to be good for beginners and children and not easily spooked. Stable management is a key responsibility and includes daily care of horses, grooming, cleaning stalls, feeding, taking care of minor injuries and other daily management activities. Scheduling and maintaining records of routine health care such as vaccinations, dental work, and farrier care for horses is key. Coordinating maintenance of barns, fences, waterers, and other equipment with maintenance crew will also be required.
- Be a competent rider (at all paces and over uneven terrain)
- To train two Wolwedans team members as horse guides
- Nurture a small herd of horses and live at Wolwedans for the riding season
- An open-minded person, with a pleasant, positive, outgoing personality
- Passionate about nature and its creatures
- The successful trainer /guide must have a genuine interest in horses
- Fluent in spoken and written English (additional languages an advantage) and possess good communication skills for guiding with visitors
- Good health, with an energetic disposition
- Namibian citizen / holder of a domicile /work permit /permanent residence
- Have no allergies to hay or animals
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must have current driver’s license with clean driving record.
- Good working knowledge of computers, including Word and Excel.
- Ability to safely perform physical activities associated with the training and management of horses, including lifting weights of more than 30kg’s.
- Travel will be required, including seasonal relocation to our Windhoek based facility.
- E.g. cleaning horse stables and grooming are sometimes the duties of horse trainers. Horse trainers also acclimate horses to walking onto horse trailers to get them used to being relocated whenever necessary.
- Excellent horse riding skills
- Experience in handling young and untrained horses
- At least 1 year of experience in starting/breaking horses
This position requires setting up temporary residence at Wolwedans, and be prepared to work on-site for six continuous weeks at a time. References will be checked and a probation period is applicable.The successful applicant will need to commit to “The Wolwedans Way”, our mission, vision and values statement, as well as The Wolwedans Compass of fairness, honesty, positivity and creativity.We offer a competitive package, a diverse job and dynamic working environment.The successful applicant should be able to start immediately, and have good knowledge and understanding of desert ecology.Only qualified persons who meet the relevant criteria should apply. If you are interested in this position and meet the requirements, please email your CV (listing current references and a recent head/shoulders photograph) to: email@example.com