The Namibia Financial Institutions Supervisory Authority (“NAMFISA; the Authority”) is an independent institution established by virtue of Act No. 3 of 2001 to regulate and supervise financial institutions in Namibia as mandated by various acts of Parliament.
NAMFISA is an equal opportunity employer and invites competent & suitably qualified candidates to apply for the following position:
ACTUARY: PROVIDENT INSTITUTIONS
Research, Policy and Statistics
Paterson Job Grade D3
THE POSITION REPORTS TO THE GENERAL MANAGER: RESEARCH, POLICY AND STATISTICS
The purpose of this position is to provide actuarial support and advice to the Provident Institutions Division (Pension Funds, Medical Aid Funds and any other regulated Group Schemes) in carrying out supervisory and regulatory work as enshrined in the core mandate of NAMFISA. In addition, the Actuary shall be assigned any other work covering research, statistics and policy matters to which his/her professional skills are deemed relevant or appropriate by the General Manager: Research, Policy and Statistics (RPS).
- Provide actuarial support and advice to the Provident Institutions on pensions, health care or any other employee benefits group schemes’ business;
- Provide support in the review of policy statements, standards, regulations and bills, where deemed relevant;
- Provide support in proposing changes and reform developments to legislation and subordinate legislation (such as regulations, standards, board notices, directives and circulars) for the Provident Institutions at industry level;
- Provide actuarial training to supervisory divisions;
- Provide advice to supervisory divisions on matters having an actuarial impact; Ensure compliance on all legal and regulatory requirements of the Division.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Qualified Actuary with any recognized international body or association (e.g. Fellow of the Actuarial Society of South Africa, Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries); plus
- Three (3) years’ relevant working experience;
- Near Qualified Actuary (left with 1 to 3 subjects to become a Fellow); plus
- At least 5 years’ experience in Insurance actuarial support.
- Actuarial core technical and application subjects; Non-banking financial sector;
- Quantitative methods to assess risk;
- Regulation and supervision of financial services;
- International developments in financial services regulation including Basel III and Solvency II.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability and interest to interpret legislation as well as financial information pertaining to the entire non-banking financial sector;
- Ability to make decisions on empirical evidence, diplomacy and a good negotiator;
- Solid understanding of the role of regulation and supervision in financial services and the objectives of NAMFISA; and
- Highly objective and ethical.
NAMFISA offers a market-related total cost to company package based on work experience and qualifications. The package includes retirement and medical aid benefits.
We encourage energetic, dynamic and results-driven team players to forward their applications to:
Human Resources Manager
PO. Box 21250, Windhoek
Hand deliver to:
1st Floor Sanlam Centre, Independence Avenue
E-mail to: email@example.com
Deadline for applications: Friday, 12 May 2017
As per Affirmative Action (Employment) Act, Act 29 of 1998,
Namibian Citizens from disadvantaged groups will enjoy preferential treatment and persons living with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Please note that certified copies of qualifications and identification documents should be attached to your application. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and no documents will be returned.
No faxed applications will be accepted.
NAMFISA reserves the right not to make an appointment in this position.